Last Updated: April 21, 2016
Selected (hereafter “we,” “us” or “our”) provides and makes available content and services through (a) the domain and subdomains located at www.getselected.co (the “Site”), (b) Selected mobile applications or via communication with the Selected team (collectively referred to as the "Platform"), and (c) facilitation of communication between those users of the Platform seeking job opportunities ("Employees") and those users of the Platform seeking to hire ("Employers"). Anyone who views, accesses, browses, submits Content to the Site is referred to as a “User.” Employees and Employers in aggregate are also “Users.” The Selected Site contains material, including but not limited to software, text, logos, graphics and images (collectively referred to as Content”). An Employee or Employer may create and maintain a profile (“Profile”) about themselves as a job candidate or a company that seeks to employ educators that is intended to be shared either publicly or privately with Employees or Employers.
1. Information We Collect
We collect personal information from both Employers and Employees so that they can use the Selected Platform, and also non-personal information about any Users or Visitors to the site to help us better understand and improve the Selected user experience.
Personal Information is information you provide us about yourself, such as your full name and email address, phone number, and education and work history. We collect this information in a number of ways, including when you enter it while using our Platform, interact with our customer service, or participate in surveys or marketing promotions.
- If you are an Employee, we collect and store the information you provide to us in your Profile. This includes:
- Your first and last name and email address
- The type of teaching you wish to do, work, education, and certification history, employment preferences, narrative self-description
- Pictures and videos you upload
- Payment information
- If you are an Employer, we collect and store information you provide while looking for Employees. This includes:
- The type of teachers you are looking for, such as subject, location, and grade level
- Job descriptions and requirements
- A description of your school or program
- Data about your school or programs student body, community, or performance
"Non Personal Information" is information that cannot be linked to you, but is automatically collected information about your activities on our Site. This data is used to better understand and enhance the user experience on the Site. We may publish aggregate statistics or share them with third parties without including personally identifiable information (PII). Such data includes:
- Your activity on the site, such as what you search for and what profiles you visit
2. How We Use the Information We Collect
HOW PERSONAL INFORMATION IS USED - EMPLOYEE INFORMATION
If you are an Employee with an active account, and you give us permission to share your information with Employers, we will share with Employers the information that is included in your or Profile, including your first and last name and email address.
HOW PERSONAL INFORMATION IS USED - PLATFORM MANAGEMENT
We use your personal information, in addition to non-personal information and aggregate information about the use of our Platform, to better understand your needs and to provide you with a better Platform experience.
Specifically, we may use your personal information for any of the following reasons:
- To provide our Platform to you, including registering you for an Account, verifying your identity and authority to use our Platform, and to otherwise enable you to use our Platform
- To process billing and payment, including sharing with Stripe or other third party payment systems
- To periodically send promotional emails, which you may unsubscribe from at any time, to the email address you provide regarding new products from Selected, special offers from Selected or other information about Selected that we think you may find interesting
- To contact you via email, telephone, facsimile or mail, or text message, to deliver certain services or information you have requested
- To enable you to search the Site based on the personal information Employees have made available on the Site
- For customer support and to respond to your inquiries
- To prevent, detect and investigate potentially prohibited or illegal activities, including fraud
- To analyze and understand our audience, improve our service, including our user interface experiences and search algorithms, and troubleshoot the Platform
HOW NON-PERSONAL INFORMATION IS USED
We use non-personal information, and personal information in aggregate (such as demographic information), for market research and to improve the Selected Platform. This includes providing useful features and promotions, troubleshooting, and improving the user interface and search algorithms. We also aggregate the information collected via cookies and similar technologies to use in statistical analysis to help us track trends, evaluate the effectiveness of our ads and analyze patterns in the use of Selected. As an example, we track school preferences entered on the Site; this helps us determine what kinds of schools are most in demand.
3. Cookies and Internet Advertising
Information collected includes your browser type, your ISP or operating system, your time of Site access, the URL of the previous website you visited, which pages of our Site you view, your IP address, and the type of device that you use. We use this information in aggregate to determine which portions of our Platform are used most frequently, and to assist us in improving our feature set, our marketing and advertising, and our customer experience with the Platform.
CLEAR GIFS, PIXEL TAGS, AND OTHER TECHNOLOGIES
Clear GIFs (a.k.a. web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags) are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer's hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs, in connection with our Platform to, among other things, track the activities of Platform Visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about Platform usage. We and our third party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML emails to our customers, to help us track email response rates, identify when our emails are viewed, and track whether our emails are forwarded.
DO NOT TRACK
Currently, we do not honor browser requests not to be tracked, as the Internet industry is currently still working on Do Not Track standards, implementations and solutions.
4. Electronic Communications
We offer a free electronic newsletter to users on topics related to teacher employment. We will collect the email addresses of users and add them to our newsletter mailing list. Users may remove themselves from this mailing list by opting out of receiving newsletters during the registration process or by following the “unsubscribe” link provided in each newsletter. However, users will still receive any transactional emails that are part of the basic functions of the site.
5. Disclosure of Information
We may share the information that we collect about you, including your personal information, as follows:
INFORMATION DISCLOSED TO PROTECT US AND OTHERS
INFORMATION DISCLOSED TO LAW ENFORCEMENT OR GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS
We will disclose your information, including, without limitation, your name, city, state, telephone number, email address, user ID history, quoting and listing history, and fraud complaints, to law enforcement or other government officials if we are required to do so by law, regulation or other government authority or otherwise in cooperation with an investigation of a governmental authority.
INFORMATION DISCLOSED TO THIRD PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS AND BUSINESS PARTNERS
We may contract with various third parties for the provision and maintenance of the Platform and our business operations, and Selected may need to share your personal information and data generated by cookies and aggregate information with these vendors and service agencies. For example, we may provide your information to a credit card processing company to process your payment. The vendors and service agencies are only permitted to use your personal information as necessary to perform its obligations to provide the Platform to you.
INFORMATION DISCLOSED TO OTHER USERS OF OUR PLATFORM
If you are an Employee, we will share your information with Employers with your permission.
For Employers: Please respect the privacy of others. You agree to use the information of other users solely for employment-related purposes. You agree not to share Employee information with other Employers.
IN THE EVENT OF A CHANGE OF CONTROL OR BANKRUPTCY
In connection with any business reorganization, restructuring, merger or sale, or other transfer of assets, we will transfer information, including personal information, provided that the receiving party agrees to respect your personal information in a manner that is consistent with our Privacy Statement.
In addition, in the event of Selected's bankruptcy, reorganization, receivership, or assignment for the benefit of creditors, or the application or laws or equitable principles affecting creditors' rights generally, Selected may not be able to control how your information is transferred, used, or treated and reserves the right to transfer the information we have collected from the users of the Platform to non-affiliated third parties in such event.
AGGREGATE OR DE-IDENTIFIED DATA
6. Children’s Privacy
You must be 18 years of age or older to use the Selected Site or Platform. If we discover that a child under 18 has provided us with personal information, we will delete such information from our systems.
7. Security of Data
We employ appropriate physical, procedural and technological security measures, which are reasonably designed to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access or disclosure. Selected may use encryption, passwords, and physical security measures to help protect your personal information against unauthorized access and disclosure.
These safeguards include:
- Selected uses SSL (Secure Socket Layer), the industry standard method for computers to communicate securely without risk of manipulation or impersonation of recipients. We use SSL in the account registration process, in the login process, and in the account management section of the Site.
- Selected uses strong encryption technology to protect sensitive information in our databases.
- Selected employs firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and system monitoring to protect against unauthorized access of our systems.
- Selected does not store financial information, including credit card numbers. We relay payment transactions to the credit card processor Stripe, uses Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) to protect your data.
We take these precautions in an effort to protect your information against security breaches. However, this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of such firewalls and secure server software. By using our site, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to assume these risks.
8. Your Password
Your User Account and any data contained within it is protected by a password. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a strong password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your password private. If you do share your password or your personal information with others, you are solely responsible for all actions taken via your Account. Selected is not responsible for the unauthorized use of your information nor for any lost, stolen, compromised passwords, or for any activity on your Account via unauthorized password activity.
If you feel your password has been compromised, you should change it immediately by logging into your Account and visiting your settings. After you have finished using the Selected Site, you should log out of your Selected account and exit your browser.
If your password has been compromised for any reason, you must also immediately notify Selected by phone or email.
9. Updating, Deleting, and Correcting Your Personal Information
You can review, correct and delete your personal information by logging into the Platform and navigating to “Profile Edit.” You must promptly update your personal information if it changes or is inaccurate.
11. Notice to Non-U.S. Users
The Selected computer systems are currently based in the United States, so your personal data will be processed by us in the United States where data protection and privacy regulations may not offer the same level of protection as in other parts of the world, such as the European Union. If you create an Account with the Platform as a Visitor from outside the United States, you agree to this Policy and you consent to the transfer of all such information to the United States, which may not offer an equivalent level of protection of that required in the European Union or certain other countries, and to the processing of that information as described in this Policy.
12. Contact Us
601 W 26th St., Suite #325-292
New York, NY 10001